Subject: Re: [HEADS UP] Platform support
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Mark E. Perkins <perkinsm@bway.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/21/2007 15:13:19
On 7/21/07 2:42 PM, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> Well, what Jan said. More bluntly: "Good luck". I want to avoid the
> illusional that everything works fine. I don't want to kill support code
> or anything like that. If it works now, chances are it will continue,
> but it can also stop and noone knows.

I'm trying to understand the parameters and impact of an official declaration
of "pkgsrc is supported on X" and I'm using NetBSD/mac68k as an example
because I use it.  For my purposes (local mail server, DNS, DHCP server, ...),
I can get much of what I need from the base system.  But there are things I
use on mac68k that are only in pkgsrc (e.g., sudo, POP and IMAP servers,
screen, your-favorite-not-in-base-shell, screen, ...), and I know there are
other NetBSD/mac68k users in the same boat.

So to be clear, we end up with two classes of NetBSD ports; those where pkgsrc
is supported (i.e., there are bulk builds) and those where it is not.  For
those (NetBSD ports) where pkgsrc is not supported, will there be any effort
to fix problems reported by users?

Mark