Subject: Re: [HEADS UP] Platform support
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Mark E. Perkins <perkinsm@bway.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/21/2007 13:24:33
On 7/21/07 12:11 PM, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> A bulk build is again a relative low
> barrier.

For some platforms a bulk build is an unreasonably high barrier, I think.  In
particular, I (personally) consider NetBSD/mac68k a supported platform.  There
is no regular bulk build (the last one was in ~2001 according to a *quick*
search of the archives), but I can build the packages I need.  And a bulk
build for mac68k would be mostly wasted effort IMO (I don't want/need/care
about the monster pkgs like kde, gnome, etc., on mac68k).

> I'm all for raising it later, but raising it too high in one
> step is a lot more likely to kill effort than to help progress.

I think setting the bar at "availability of binary packages" is actually a
lower barrier than "regular bulk builds" and is more in line with my comments
on NetBSD/mac68k.

Mark