Subject: Re: [HEADS UP] Platform support
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Tobias Nygren <tnn@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/21/2007 16:20:32
> On Sat, 21 Jul 2007, OBATA Akio wrote:
>> IMO, "supported" platform is:
>> * Binary packages for the platform are provided.
>
> Strongly seconded.
>
> Soapbox mode: before I started working on pkgsrc (i.e. before NetBSD got
> pkgsrc :) I ran an archive of binary packages for NetBSD/amiga. This was
> used as the platform was slow to compile, and I dare saying not a lot has
> changed, whatever machine you compile stuff like KDE, OOo and Firefox on.
>
> I was hoping for pkgsrc to be the tool(!) to get more binary pkgs on a
> wider range of platforms, but that has yet to happen. While pkgsrc itself
> is an excellent tool and the packages collection is pretty well
> maintained, that's not enough to reach the final goal of getting stuff
> available. Which is what's currently lacking, as I've also described the
> other day[1] -- unfortunately with zero outcome.
>

>   - Hubert
>
> [1] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2007/07/04/0005.html

Binary packages for all supported platforms would be an excellent and
attainable goal for pkgsrc-2007Q3. Builds can and should be started
during the freeze and then updated/finalized/uploaded to ftp.n.o _prior_
to the announcement, not a month later, if ever. If binary packages are
not available, this should be reflected in the announcement.
IMHO, of course.

-Tobias