Subject: Re: [HEADS UP] Platform support
To: OBATA Akio <obata@lins.jp>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/21/2007 14:21:15
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007, OBATA Akio wrote:
> IMO, "supported" platform is:
> * Binary packages for the platform are provided.

Strongly seconded.

Soapbox mode: before I started working on pkgsrc (i.e. before NetBSD got
pkgsrc :) I ran an archive of binary packages for NetBSD/amiga. This was
used as the platform was slow to compile, and I dare saying not a lot has
changed, whatever machine you compile stuff like KDE, OOo and Firefox on.

I was hoping for pkgsrc to be the tool(!) to get more binary pkgs on a
wider range of platforms, but that has yet to happen. While pkgsrc itself
is an excellent tool and the packages collection is pretty well
maintained, that's not enough to reach the final goal of getting stuff
available. Which is what's currently lacking, as I've also described the
other day[1] -- unfortunately with zero outcome.

  - Hubert

[1] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2007/07/04/0005.html