Subject: Re: [HEADS UP] Platform support
To: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
From: Tobias Nygren <tnn@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/21/2007 12:35:16

> For a platform to be supported, it should at the very least have regular
bulk builds. This can be both the old style mk/bulk as well as the newer
pkgtools/pbulk based build. If a platform can't get at least that much
support, we should not advertise it as supported. I'm not yet sure how
we
> should name platforms that were supported in the past or have other
reasons for not fulfilling this requirement, but that is a different
issue for now.

I don't think that the requirement for bulk builds is unreasonable, and it
will certainly improve quality and regression turnaround. IMO we should be
able to find people to run bulk builds on all platforms we currently
support, with the possible exception of BSD/OS and UnixWare(?).

FWIW, pbulk has been running a HP-UX build for two days on my HP C3600. So
far there are 360 successful and 53 failed packages. I am currently
searching for a faster AlphaServer system (anyone have a spare and/or
colocated CS20?) to run Tru64 bulk builds. I would also like to run HP-UX
Itanium bulk builds, but have no access to hardware where I can run as
root.

I intend to start an Interix bulk build today, but will not run it on a
regular schedule.
BTW, has anyone considered the possibility of pkgsrc on cygwin?

-Tobias
(Message sent through webmail, apologies for any formatting breakage.)