Subject: Re: maintaining binary pkgs on the ftp server
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Chris Turner <c.turner@199technologies.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/10/2007 21:42:54
Roland Illig wrote:
> Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>>  * document what's there, answering questions like
>>     - where can I find latest binary pkgs for NetBSD/i386 4.0
>>     - where can I find latest binary pkgs for Solaris 9/x86
>>     - where can I find (any) binaries from pkgsrc-2007Q2
>
> As a general scheme, I suggest
>
>     /pub/pkgsrc/${OPSYS}/${OSVERSION}/${ARCH}/${TAG}/All
>
> ${TAG} would be either 200yQq or current-200ymmdd. That is, each "All"
> directory has some tag associated with it. (Currently, we have some
> directories where this isn't the case.)

Planning out my local filesystem structure it occurred to me that if you
put the 'TAG' up front, a checkout area with a slight variation on the
default PKGDIR could then more easily fit the scheme e.g.

   pkgsrc/${TAG}/packages/${OPSYS}/${OSVERSION}/${ARCH}/All

You could then hook in e.g. MY_RELEASE_LINK -> ${TAG} and have things
work for package updates across the various platforms, I understand the
FTP sites don't mix the pkgsrc hierarchy with the packages, milages may
vary, etc. but in any case..   just a thought that might be useful. I
guess the question is which 'version' is more important in the scheme of
things or to pkgsrc - the pkgsrc branch or the OS..