Subject: Re: Publishing code and VCSs
To: Julio M.Merino Vidal <>
From: Adam Hamsik <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/10/2007 19:55:58

On Jul 10, 2007, at 4:00 PM, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> On 10/07/2007, at 15:29, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>>> Now that you bring that up... we'd shorten boost's build times a
>>> lot by splitting each binary library in its own package.  It
>>> should be fairly trivial, but when I proposed it people seemed to
>>> dislike the idea :-(
>> IIRC the monotone folks worked on getting rid of boost altogether,
>> which I'd prefer over surgery on boost.
> IIRC, they got rid of the date_time library only (and can't
> remember the exact reasons).  I'm not sure getting rid of all Boost
> usage is the plan, though.  Some of the functionality offered by it
> is really great and simplifies code a lot.
> Anyway, the boost surgery we are talking about is, I think,
> trivial.  The current Makefiles already allow building a library
> individually (see boost-python), so adding packages for every
> binary library is a fairly easy task.  As a result, we'd get finer-
> grained dependencies, which is a good thing in my eyes.  (A while
> ago we discussed that such things should be achieved by being able
> to generate many different binary packages from a single source
> one, but we are not there yet.)

Can we use framework for this ? or we are going to create
ton of new packages :). e.g boost-python can be boost builded
withoption -* python default option can be *. Does this make sense or
not :)?

>>> BTW, extatic?  What was the correct word? ;-)
>> Extatic? Hyped-up? I don't care. :)
> I've been told it's ecstatic, hence why I couldn't find it in the
> dictionary ;-)
> --
> Julio M. Merino Vidal <>

Adam Hamsik
icq: 249727910

Proud NetBSD user.

We program to have fun.
Even when we program for money, we want to have fun as well.
~ Yukihiro Matsumoto

Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (Darwin)