Subject: Re: pkgtools and PKG_TOOLS_PREFIX
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/04/2007 17:16:57
On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 03:23:45PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> Hi all,
> we currently have 4 programs in tree that wants to install to
> PKG_TOOLS_PREFIX. That normally is identical to PREFIX, but for NetBSD.
> The original idea was to update and replace in-tree tools, but I think
> this creates more problems than it solves. I'd like to remove this.
> This was mostly hidden by this programs being marked as PRECIOUS before.
>
> The programs are:
> pkgtools/mtree (will go away soon anyway and fully move to sysutils/)
> pkgtools/pax
> pkgtools/pkg_install
> pkgtools/tnftp
>
> What do you think?

I think this is fine.  I don't think replacing in-tree tools should
be a goal of pkgsrc.  We've done a lot of work to make the bootstrap
kit register itself correctly within the package database, so I don't
see a good reason for why we would need to keep installing these tools
outside of ${LOCALBASE}.

Could you prepare and post a patch for this change for review?

	Thanks,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>