Subject: Re: "torrentutils" vs. "bash"
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/25/2007 13:15:42
On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 02:39:20PM -0400, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> The former is less extensible, but requires no changes to the
> infrastructure itself.  The latter is definitely more expressive, but
> ultimate would involve modifying the infrastructure quite a bit, and
> would make pkgsrc a little slower when running depends phase.

I don't like to make the tools framework too extensible. No fine grained
versions in it please. I would also recomment complaining to the authors
in this case, but that's a different question.

> Along those lines, we could also add things like ggrep, gfind, gxargs,
> etc. for the GNU versions of those programs.

Why? I don't think they offer much value and we do use the replacements
on platforms with too limited versions already, don't we?

Joerg