Subject: Re: Message for registering info files necessary?
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/23/2007 09:44:02
On 23/06/2007, at 0:49, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Do we really need these messages?

> =====
> Registering info files for gnucash-2.0.5nb5:
>
>         /usr/pkg/info/gnucash-design.info

> =====
>
> The user won't care, the admin usually won't care either, perhaps the
> packager cares to make sure he didn't forget adding the appropriate
> line.
> I think we can silence it by default, and perhaps enable it for
> PKG_DEVELOPER if someone insists.

Also, if this finally stays in some way... do we really have to have
so long messages?  I mean, those ==== and blank lines take a lot of
screen space, whereas the same thing could be achieved by printing
'Regitering info file foo for bar-x.y.z.' on a line on its own.

(Ever tried pkg_add on a package with lots of dependents (e.g.
gnome)?  The output is hard to parse visually and is extremely long.)

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>