Subject: Re: "torrentutils" vs. "bash"
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/22/2007 14:39:20
Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> Which reminds me:  cogito is broken under OS X because it requires bash
> 3.x; however it thinks that the native bash is good enough and uses it.
> Is it there any way to specify a minimum required version to the tools
> framework?  Is that supported to ask for bash 3.x?

There unfortunately isn't.  We could try to solve it in one of two
different ways:

(1) Invent a new tool "bash3" that represents bash-3.x.  It would be a
     bug to specify both "bash" and "bash3" in USE_TOOLS.

(2) Add built-in version detection into the tools framework.  I didn't
     do this when I initially implemented the tools framework because I
     saw how much of a pain it was to do for buildlink.  However, then
     you'd be able to add this to package Makefile:

	TOOLS_DEPENDS.bash=	bash>=3.0:../../shells/bash

The former is less extensible, but requires no changes to the
infrastructure itself.  The latter is definitely more expressive, but
ultimate would involve modifying the infrastructure quite a bit, and
would make pkgsrc a little slower when running depends phase.

I favor the former unless it turns out we need to do this for a lot of
packages.

Along those lines, we could also add things like ggrep, gfind, gxargs,
etc. for the GNU versions of those programs.

Thoughts?

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>