Subject: How to support test dependencies? (PR 36504)
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/21/2007 20:08:31
Hi!

A number of packages, in particular but not only perl packages, have
extra dependencies when running their internal self tests
(TEST_TARGET/make test).

Currently there is no infrastructure in pkgsrc to support this.
Adding the test dependencies as DEPENDS or BUILD_DEPENDS is the wrong
way to handle them in my opinion.

I think we should introduce a TEST_DEPENDS variable to denote such
test dependencies. But what do we do with the information?

A simple way would be to add the TEST_DEPENDS as BUILD_DEPENDS if
PKG_DEVELOPER is set and TEST_TARGET is defined. I can probably manage
a diff for that :)

A better, but more difficult way, would be to add another
install-test-dependencies step when 'make test' is run.

Can someone think of another way to address this?

Anyone willing to work on this?

Cheers,
 Thomas