Subject: bsd.lib.mk and bootstrap
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Dan McMahill <dmcmahill@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/20/2007 17:42:43
Hello,

I recently was building a package which used bsd.lib.mk in its makefile.
  What I found is that the bsd.lib.mk installed as part of the boostrap
on SunOS-5.9 passes "-x" to ld and /usr/ccs/bin/ld does not like that.

As a quick fix, I just removed "-x" in /usr/pkg/share/mk/bsd.lib.mk.

My more general question though is

1) should we try to "fix" the .mk files used by the bootstrap?  Can we
even fix them though since they are toolchain dependent and during
bootstrap we may or may not have the real toolchain setup yet.  Maybe as
a quick fix, we can add a
/usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/bootstrap-mk-files/files/mods/SunOS.bsd.lib.mk
without the -x.

2) should we instead try to fix this issue with toolchain wrappers?

This really only affects packages which like to use bsd makefiles.  Also
it may affect users who are wanting to use a bsd makefile outside of
pkgsrc but perhaps thats not really supported.

Comments?
-Dan