Subject: Re: bumping revisions for dependent packages
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.jun.sieben@kh-22.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/16/2007 23:55:04
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Klaus Heinz wrote:

> > Am I supposed to bump the revision of those packages?
>
> The Pkgsrc Guide says:
>
> 	"PKGREVISION must also be incremented when dependencies have ABI
> 	changes."
>
> Did the ABI change?

The suffix of shared libraries in the old package was .so.10.0.7 and is
now .so.10.0.8 in the updated package.
There is an additional header file "wand/deprecate.h".
There are differences between the header files of version 6.3.3.6
and 6.3.4.9: C++ template changes, function signatures, C++ namespace
changes.

There is also a comment from Thomas Klausner in the CVS log for
ImageMagick/Makefile from 2002:

  According to the ImageMagick developers, it is uncommon for any two
  libMagick.so libraries to be API compatible, and they don't want to
  handle proper ELF versioning, but have the "real" version number in
  the library. To spare us the pkgsrc maintenance nightmare, follow their
  example. Bump PKGREVISION.

ciao
     Klaus