Subject: mk/platform/MyOS.pkg.dist deprecated
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Lloyd Parkes <Lloyd.Parkes@ird.govt.nz>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/15/2007 12:15:35
Hi all,
I was looking through
http://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/porting.html#porting.opsys and I saw the
comment that USE_MTREE is a feature that is going to be removed.

Does this mean that the .dist file is going away there will no longer be mtree
support in pkgsrc?

I use mtree and the .dist file every day. Many packages have their own ideas of
what the various directory ownerships and permissions need to be, and once I
convert the packages into Solaris packages with gensolpkg, this all turns to
custard. The Solaris package system doesn't like it when packages disagree over
what shared directories look like, and so I run mtree every time I create a
Solaris package.

Cheers
--
Lloyd Parkes