Subject: Re: Motif default
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/14/2007 12:00:56
On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 11:43:37AM +0200, Dieter Baron wrote:
>   What I see need for is:
>
>   - We can distribute it for free, via ftp or on CDs we give away.
>   - We can distribute it for a fee, like selling CDs.
>
>   Do you see any other uses we need to differentiate?
>
>   What do you think of the variable names CAN_DISTRIBUTE_SRC,
> CAN_DISTRIBUTE_PKG, CAN_SELL_SRC, CAN_SELL_PKG?

The three use cases I can think of and would distinguish are:
- can be put on public FTP server
- can be put on free CD
- can be sold
- manual override for individual licenses

Based on that CAN_DISTRIBUTE_SRC and CAN_DISTRIBUTE_PKG are set.
So the bulk builder does "DISTRIBUTION_PROFILE=non-commercial-cd"
and gets that set.

>   First, what exactly are non-commercial packages?  Packages allowed
> for non-commercial use only?  Restrictions on use should play no role
> in what we upload to nbftp, nor what we put on (official) CDs.

I think most non-commercial-use package would also prohibit official
for-money CDs. That's why I distinguish so above.

>   Then I veto the switch to lesstif.  I don't want to ship non-working
> binary packages, and that might well be the result.

Not shipping a PDF viewer for example is worse. Let me put it this way,
below is a list of all Motif packages. Most of them have actual
maintainers, so it should be possible to get them tested :-)

Interest?

Joerg

x11/Xbae
x11/XmHTML