Subject: The future of MAKE_JOBS
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/13/2007 19:14:34
Hi all,
I've talked about it during pkgsrcCon and with various other developers.
In short, I strongly dislike the current way MAKE_JOBS is handled.

(a) For most packages it is like playing Russian roulette.
(b) The default is "supported", even without any knowledge of how
subtile it can break a package.
(c) It doesn't work for most of the larger packages.

The point of having the feature is defeated by (c) as those packages,
where you really want to have it, don't work with it. (b) is a policy
question. I demand at least to change the default to "no" aka don't
assume that a package supports it.

Even if a package builds fine with -j4 or -j8 on a dual cpu box, it can
fail on a different system with more / less CPUs or different
scheduling. It is really hard to write correct rules for that, just look
at the issues NetBSD base had over time. Given that I am a strong
opponent of reliable and reproducable pkgsrc builds, I find the current
status very unsatisfactional.

For that, I want to see this issue resolved to either change the default
of MAKE_JOBS_SAFE to "no" and have any request to change that for a
package be backed by some reasonable evidence, or to see it removed
completely.

Joerg