Subject: Re: lang/guile update to 1.8.1
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Dan McMahill <dmcmahill@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/08/2007 18:51:47
Greg Troxel wrote:
> Dan McMahill <dmcmahill@NetBSD.org> writes:
>
>> Greg Troxel wrote:
>>>   1)  import lang/guile16 which is guile-1.6.x installed in
>>>   ${LOCALBASE}/guile/1.6/ like how lang/guile14 is done now.
>>>
>>>   2)  blindly point all the packages which currently use guile to
>>>   lang/guile16 and bump their PKGREVISIONS.
>>>
>>>   3)  update lang/guile to 1.8.1.
>>>
>>>   4)  ask maintainers of the packages touched in #2 to migrate back to
>>>   lang/guile where possible.
>>> Does your guile 1.8.1 package work with slib?  If it does, it might be
>>> better (given limited cycles) to skip step (2) of your plan and then
>>> point whatever fails back at guile16.  This breaks the build of some
>>> packages briefly but gets us forward faster.  guile 1.8 has been out for
>>> a long time, so an upstream package that doesn't work with it is crufty.
>> how do I see if guile-1.8.1 works with slib?
>
> $ guile
> guile> (use-modules (ice-9 slib))
> guile> (require 'pretty-print)
> guile> (pretty-print '((a b) (b c d) e))
> ((a b) (b c d) e)
> 18
>
> You'll need the guile-slib package.  It works fine with 1.6.8.   In
> 1.6.8, see ice-9/slib.scm and slib-old.scm.   I suspect that something
> like what's in slib.scm (minus the option to use slib-old.scm, and minus
> the browse-url stuff) will be adequate.

guile> (use-modules (ice-9 slib))
ERROR: Unbound variable: slib:features
ABORT: (unbound-variable)
guile> (load "/usr/pkg/share/slib/guile.init")
guile> (use-modules (ice-9 slib))
guile> (require 'pretty-print)
guile> (pretty-print '((a b) (b c d) e))
((a b) (b c d) e)
18
guile> (quit)

>> While we're at at, do you know how to run the guile test suite from
>> within the debugger?  I noticed that both guile-1.6.8 (from
>> lang/guile) and guile-1.8.1 (not yet committed) segfault on a few of
>> the tests on NetBSD-2/alpha.
>
> No, I don't.  If the problems are similar in 1.6.8 and 1.8.1 I'd suggest
> deferring worrying about that until after the upgrade, as it seems very
> likely to be an upstream bug that isn't getting worse.

I'm working with the guile developers in parallel to resolve some of
those.  In the mean time I'm seeing how far I can get with a bulk build
on my system where I'm only building the pkgs which directly require
guile.  Of course that, plus dependencies, is a pretty good pile of
packages.  Then hopefully I can make a first pass call at which packages
need to be pointed at guile16.

what a pain...