Subject: lang/guile update to 1.8.1
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Dan McMahill <dmcmahill@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/03/2007 20:29:04
Hello,

I'd like to get lang/guile updated to 1.8.1.  Since quite a few packages
depend on guile and it is not clear how many are or are not using
features which may have gone away I'd like to propose the following
upgrade path:

1)  import lang/guile16 which is guile-1.6.x installed in
${LOCALBASE}/guile/1.6/ like how lang/guile14 is done now.

2)  blindly point all the packages which currently use guile to
lang/guile16 and bump their PKGREVISIONS.

3)  update lang/guile to 1.8.1.

4)  ask maintainers of the packages touched in #2 to migrate back to
lang/guile where possible.

I already have a working lang/guile16 and lang/guile with 1.8.1.  I have
not worked on step #2 yet as I wanted to see if there are any objections
or suggestions for a better course of action.  I will not be able to
handle #4 alone.  I don't use most of those packages and my computer is
too old and slow to even do a good job of just compile testing via a
bulk build.

I'd like to do this soon as I'm starting to see some packages which
require guile >= 1.8.0.

-Dan