Subject: Default for PKG_SYSCONFBASE
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/03/2007 17:20:28
Hi,

I've found it weird for a very long time already that the default
PKG_SYSCONFBASE points to PREFIX/etc.  Some reasons:

- PREFIX is usually /usr/pkg, and /usr should be read-only mountable.
- /etc is the place that is supposed to have the configuration files.
- Configuration files are usually per-host, but this is not easy to
   achieve if /usr/pkg is network-shared.
- VARBASE is also a configurable setting and _does not_ default to
   PREFIX/var.  It "correctly" points to /var.

So I propose we change the default PKG_SYSCONFBASE from PREFIX/etc to
point to /etc/pkg.  What would you think of such change?  Any way it
could be made transparent to the end user?  (Because if we did it, he
could end up with a mixture of packages using the old setting and
some others pointing to the new one.)

(One of the reasons I have never used the binary packages we publish
is precisely because of this bogus default.)

Thanks,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>