Subject: Re: strverscmp: how to handle this on NetBSD in pkgsrc?
To: Blair Sadewitz <>
From: Quentin Garnier <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/27/2007 06:12:08

On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 12:03:16AM -0400, Blair Sadewitz wrote:
> I'm trying to package something that uses strverscmp(3).  This is a

Does it use it or does it _rely_ on it?  If the latter, then bad, bad
piece of software.  I've just read the man page of strverscmp(3), and
it looks to me that it's an awful hack of the class that might belong
to GNU libc, but not really to NetBSD's.

> GNU libc extension, and also present in libiberty.  However, I can't
> find it in any [installed] NetBSD library.  Am I missing something?  I

That we're not shipping libiberty.

> want the package to be portable, but it seems a little strange to
> include devel/libiberty just to satisfy something so simple.  Has
> anyone come across this before?  I'm wondering if there's a
> "preferred" way to handle this.

Use strcmp(3) instead, and #ifdef THE_CORRECT_GNU_STUFF around it.

Quentin Garnier - -
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (NetBSD)