Subject: Re: how to create/remove directories: INSTALLATION_DIRS, OWN_DIRS, MAKE_DIR, REQD_DIRS?
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/20/2007 16:39:20
On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 04:10:24PM +0200, Klaus Heinz wrote:
> Are OWN_DIRS, MAKE_DIRS, REQD_DIRS and INSTALLATION_DIRS all supposed
> to be located under PREFIX or does this only apply to REQD_DIRS and
> INSTALLATION_DIRS?

The latter.

> What is the difference between INSTALLATION_DIRS and REQD_DIRS? When
> am I supposed to prefer one over the other?

Whether or not cleanup will happen. At one point in time, both can go
away, but not now.

> I can specify owners and permissions for OWN_DIRS, MAKE_DIRS and
> REQD_DIRS but not for INSTALLATION_DIRS. Is there something missing or
> is INSTALLATION_DIRS only to be used in situations where this does not
> matter?

INSTALLATION_DIRS is supposed to provide the equivalent of what we used
mtree for, nothing fancy.

> Is there an explicit list of "pkgsrc base directories" (bin, etc,
> share/doc, ...) I can omit when creating/destroying directories?

No, we used mtree for that, but it creates more problems than it is
worth. Note that for the USE_DESTDIR case, you find out very easy what
directories are not created by the application. The rest should go into
INSTALLATION_DIRS.

> Am I really supposed to put "@unexec ${RMDIR}..."  in PLIST files? I
> dimly remember that @exec/@unexec was a deprecated feature.

No, you are not. That's typically a sign that REQD_DIRS should be used.

Joerg