Subject: Updating smartmontools to 5.37
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/13/2007 13:30:18
Hi,

smartmontools is currently at version 5.36.  I have been using 5.37
for a while without problems, and the maintainer (CCed) also sent me
an update request a month ago.

At first I declined to do the update because 5.37 is an unstable
release.  But as it has been out for a while and 5.38 is still not
here, I'd like to do the update anyway.  The reason is that 5.36 does
not work with the hard disk on my Mac, and most likely it does not
work with most newer hardware.  The changes list is:

    14 - Many additions to the table of known drives
    15 - SAT (SCSI/ATA Translation) support
    16 - SCSI background scan results log
    17 - smartd -W directive for temperature tracking and warning
    18 - smartctl -n option to check power state
    19 - improved smartd power state logging
    20 - CCISS support under Linux
    21 - HighPoint RocketRAID support under Linux
    22 - 3ware RAID support under Windows
    23 - SPT interface for SCSI devices under Windows
    24 - ATA selective self test under Windows XP/2003
    25 - NSIS installer support for Windows version
    26 - Started move from C to C++
    27 - Various other improvements

Any objections to commit the update?

Thanks,