Subject: Re: packaging Thunderbird 2.0.0.0
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/11/2007 15:42:37
On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 09:27:08AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>   What do you think is best?
>
>   1) keep Thunderbird 1.5.0.x in mail/thunderbird and add Thunderbird 2.x as
>      mail/thunderbird2 (like I did with Firefox 1.5.x vs 2.x)
>
>   2) update the existing mail/thunderbird package to 2.x (like I did with
>      Seamonkey 1.0.x vs 1.1.x, which was a similar upgrade)
>

> There are three considerations:
>
> 1) please make sure that a user with an installed thunderbird who
>    updates pkgsrc and does either pkg_chk -u or pkg_rolling-replace will
>    have something reasonable happen.  Reasonable choices are staying on
>    1.5 or going to 2.  Unreasonable behaviors are failing to update
>    because the old pkg name is no longer a pkg name.
>
>    The right fix is to have a rename database, but we don't.  This
>    argues for having thunderbird just updated to 2, so that people don't
>    have 2 and then have to update to mail/thunderbird (which will be 2),
>    which won't go smoothly.
>
> 2) Can we say, and really mean it, that everyone should simply switch to
>    thunderbird 2 right now?  Is that the official advice from
>    thunderbird people?  If not, that argues for calling it thunderbird2.

They have, AFAIK, not yet announced an EOL date for Thunderbird 1.5, but
the one for Firefox 1.5 was only a few months after the 2.0 release.  Users
were quite strongly advised to upgrade.  I kept the firefox 1.5 package
around at that time because there were several issues with 2.0 on non-i386
platforms (which have been resolved now).

> 3) If switching to thunderbird2 is the standard approach, would people
>    need to have thunderbird 1.5?  If so, then the current package should
>    be put into thunderbird1 so that people can run it if need be.
>

> So all in all I think it's likely that your option 2, with possibly
> reimporting thunderbird 1.5 as thunderbird1, is the way to go.

The _easiest_ solution (for me as a maintainer, and for users using
pkg_rolling_replace or other scripts) is to simply upgrade mail/thunderbird
to Thunderbird 2, but we need to make sure it works on other hardware than
my own i386 box first.  So, would it make sense to:

3) Import mail/thunderbird2 as an "experimental" Thunderbird 2.0 package
   (for testing), and once it works well, remove it again and upgrade the
   existing mail/thunderbird package to 2.0.0.x, preferably before 2007Q2.
   (mail/thunderbird2 could also be wip/thunderbird2 for less confusion?)

	Geert