Subject: Sandboxed bulk builds on slow machines?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/05/2007 15:24:44
Hi,

since I have a few cycles to burn, I have started setting up a netbsd-4
mac68k machine for a chrooted pkgsrc bulk build.

Several issues have come up, partly with outdated documentation and partly
due to the fact that these days, bulk builds are apparently done on fast
cpus, only. And since turnaround times will be massive on a 68040, I'd like
to get the important issues out of the way, before I even start building...

(1) mail setup

The related documentation at

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/pkgsrc/binary.html#setting-up-a-sandbox

doesn't cover Postfix, which (unfortunately, IMHO - Sendmail used to "just
work" by copying sendmail.cf) is the only MTA shipped with netbsd-4 and
newer. Copying the build machine's nullclient setup after

http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#null_client

to the sandbox doesn't seem to work - a 'date | mail -s test root' inside
the chroot just hangs there. What is the proper way of doing this with
Postfix?

(2) Selection/exclusion of packages

There are tricks for selecting or excluding packages in the docs that may
or may not be up to date, like marking packages as broken. Apart from
aesthetical issues - a file listing exclusions seems to be more
maintainable than touch(1)ing dot files all over the place - for a 68040
class machine, it is important to not even attempt to build anything
KDE/Gnome/XFCE/Mozilla. What is the best / recommended way of excluding
strategic packages? Any previous experience?

	hauke