Subject: Re: Dealing with ageing platforms
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Tobias Nygren <tnn@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/22/2007 14:31:24
Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 02:11:22PM +0200, Tobias Nygren wrote:
>
>> Brain damage #1 is that the definition of select(2) lives in sys/time.h
>> instead of sys/select.h. I'd like to fix this by always using a
>> ${WRKDIR}/.buildlink/include/sys/select.h that includes <sys/time.h>.
>>

> Does it have no select in unistd.h? That one is supposed to work on all
> platforms that I know of.

Nope. And even if it did, make packages still assume
they are in the land of 1003.1 where sys/select.h exists.

>> Brain damage #2 is that we don't have stdint.h. Could be fixed in a
>> similar way.
>>

> inttypes.h, stddef.h and a few others come to mind as well.
>

>> My proposed solution is to create a pkgtools/posix_headers package and
>> to make that a BUILD_DEPENDS on broken platforms.
>>

> s/BUILD_DEPENDS/BOOTSTRAP_DEPENDS/.

Check.
> Suggest headers.

sys/select.h and stdint.h are the ones that I've come across so far on
HP-UX, but the pkgtools/posix_headers package should be tailored for
each platform to only install headers that we know are missing.

-Tobias