Subject: Dealing with ageing platforms
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Tobias Nygren <tnn@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/22/2007 14:11:22
Hi all,

There's some header-file brain damage on HP-UX that's affecting a large
number of packages. Rather than patching them all I'd like to handle it
with buildlink3:
Brain damage #1 is that the definition of select(2) lives in sys/time.h
instead of sys/select.h. I'd like to fix this by always using a
${WRKDIR}/.buildlink/include/sys/select.h that includes <sys/time.h>.
Brain damage #2 is that we don't have stdint.h. Could be fixed in a
similar way.
My proposed solution is to create a pkgtools/posix_headers package and
to make that a BUILD_DEPENDS on broken platforms.
This is good because it reduces overall patch maintenance overhead.

Thoughts?

-Tobias