Subject: good news with AIX
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/20/2007 09:29:08
Hi,

I believe I finally have a (so far) working AIX/pkgsrc system! Only a
few packages have been built, but I seem to have things working for the
time being. A couple of things though...

(1) gcc3-c++ still will NOT build. It keeps re-checking the
    configuration ad infinitum. For this reason I have...

    USE_NATIVE_GCC=yes
    CC=gcc
    CXX=g++

    ... in mk.conf and the gcc4 and g++4 and libstdc++ etc.
    rpms from IBM installed.

(2) Trying to build pkglint, I get this strange error.
    But I just built perl5.8.8nb4 with no trouble

    # bmake package
    ===> Skipping vulnerability checks.
    WARNING: No /usr/pkg/distfiles/pkg-vulnerabilities file found.
    WARNING: To fix, install the pkgsrc/security/audit-packages
    WARNING: package and run: ``/usr/pkg/sbin/download-vulnerability-list''.
    ===> Installing dependencies for pkglint-4.76
    => Required installed package digest>=20010101: digest-20060826 found
    => Required installed package p5-Digest-SHA1-[0-9]*: NOT found
    => Verifying package for ../../security/p5-Digest-SHA1
    ERROR: This package has set PKG_FAIL_REASON:
    ERROR: p5-Digest-SHA1-2.11 is marked as broken:
    ERROR: Perl does not like building with GCC on AIX, please use a
different compiler
    *** Error code 1

    Stop.
    bmake: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/security/p5-Digest-SHA1

(3) README.AIX in bootstrap should be updated to reflect that the
    pkgsrc compilers aren't the way to go. Use the IBM delivered
    rpm packages for gcc etc.

    Although I have not tried to re-bootstrap.

mk.conf looks like this...

DISTDIR=        /usr/pkg/distfiles
PACKAGES=       /usr/pkg/obj/packages
WRKOBJDIR=      /usr/pkg/obj
OBJHOSTNAME=    oasis
PKGCHK_CONF=    /etc/pkgchk.conf
PKG_SYSCONFBASE=/etc

USE_NATIVE_GCC=yes
CC=gcc
CXX=g++
MACHINE_GNU_PLATFORM=powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
CHECK_SHLIBS=no
RENAME=
PKGMAKECONF=${MAKECONF}
DEPENDS_TARGET=package

Any advice at this point would be most helpful. Please also let me know
if I can test anything.

Thanks,

Louis