Subject: Re: net/mDNSResponder suggestion
To: Daniel Eggert <eggert@macvaerk.dtu.dk>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/18/2007 14:30:49
On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 04:28:19PM +0200, Daniel Eggert wrote:
> >Why does it have to be started before "DAEMON"?
>
> Doesn't. My wrong.
>
> Perhaps
>
> # REQUIRE: named9
>
> would make sense, though?

No, why? Both NetBSD's and pkgsrc's BIND startup script provide "named",
not "named9". And I can't see a reason why "dnsextd" has to be started
before the other daemons. So "REQUIRE: DAEMON" is the correct dependence.

"named" is handled differently because a lot of daemons depend on it
(at least if the machine is its own DNS server).

> I found two other problems:
>
> 1) Shutting down dnsextd. Seems like named9 needs to be shut down only
> after dnsextd has been shut down.

Neither NetBSD's nor pkgsrc's BIND startup script terminate BIND on
system shutdown. If it would terminate BIND it would do that after
everything which depends on "DAEMON".

> 2) dnsextd doesn't terminate on my NetBSD 3.1 box unless I send a
> SIGKILL to it.

That's a bug in the Apple code which for some reason blocks a lot of
signals including SIGTERM. The "howl" package has a similar problem.

You can work arround that by adding "sig_stop=KILL" to your
startup script.

	Kind regards