Subject: Re: pgsql's home
To: Geert Hendrickx <>
From: Johnny C. Lam <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/16/2007 09:52:53
Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 06:08:44PM -0400, Louis Guillaume wrote:
>> Currently the Postgresql-server packages keep are setting the user
>> pgsql's home under ${PREFIX}.
>> Since "files that may be modified after installation" should go in
>> $VARBASE, shouldn't we do this?
> Fully agreed, for the obvious reasons (also I like to mount /usr r-o).
> I personally put it under ${VARBASE}/db, usually.

hier(7) on NetBSD says:

/var/	multi-purpose log, temporary, transient, and spool files

That doesn't sound at all like what a database should be.  I picked
${PREFIX} because that's the only place that pkgsrc really "owns" and
controls.  In any case, it's usually irrelevant... the pgsql rc.d script
always uses the home directory that's set in /etc/passwd for the
location of the database.

	-- Johnny Lam <>