Subject: Re: Designing compat linux32 packages
To: pkgsrc devel <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/30/2007 17:35:10
On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 05:28:04PM +0200, Nicolas Joly wrote:
> AFAIK, PKG_OPTIONS is currently used to add/remove features to a
> single package. But with the PR, it's used to generate 2 different
> packages that can be installed together on a machine ... In that
> specific case, how can we know that we need to perform actions
> multiple times (for updating by example), one per value.

Nothing in the infrastructure prevents you have changing the package
name based on BUILD_DEFS (or options). A good example for this is the
handling of Python packages. There might be some confusion when
intermediate cleaning is not done, but that would be a bug in its own. I
don't think pkg_chk and related tools have issues with
multiple-packages-from-one-location, otherwise they already fail to
handle the Python case correctly. I know that this applies to the
current bulk build code.

Joerg