Subject: Re: Designing compat linux32 packages
To: pkgsrc devel <>
From: Nicolas Joly <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/30/2007 17:28:04
On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 03:45:31PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 02:48:53PM +0200, Nicolas Joly wrote:
> > I've looked at Mihai Chelaru PR/35477, but i don't like the suggested
> > approach. Having 2 separate packages build with the same framework,
> > and depending on an option value, will be a real pain. While people
> > can deal with such behaviours, automatic systems will loose (bulk
> > builds, scripts, ...). I do think that we need 2 independant packages
> > sets for compat linux (suse100_*) and linux32 (suse100-32_*).
> I don't think arguing based on the automatic system is a good idea as it
> is a flaw in those. At least for bulk builds, it will go away anyway.

Ok, let me try again.

AFAIK, PKG_OPTIONS is currently used to add/remove features to a
single package. But with the PR, it's used to generate 2 different
packages that can be installed together on a machine ... In that
specific case, how can we know that we need to perform actions
multiple times (for updating by example), one per value.

Nicolas Joly

Biological Software and Databanks.
Institut Pasteur, Paris.