Subject: Re: Designing compat linux32 packages
To: pkgsrc devel <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Nicolas Joly <njoly@pasteur.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/30/2007 17:28:04
On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 03:45:31PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 02:48:53PM +0200, Nicolas Joly wrote:
> > I've looked at Mihai Chelaru PR/35477, but i don't like the suggested
> > approach. Having 2 separate packages build with the same framework,
> > and depending on an option value, will be a real pain. While people
> > can deal with such behaviours, automatic systems will loose (bulk
> > builds, scripts, ...). I do think that we need 2 independant packages
> > sets for compat linux (suse100_*) and linux32 (suse100-32_*).
>
> I don't think arguing based on the automatic system is a good idea as it
> is a flaw in those. At least for bulk builds, it will go away anyway.

Ok, let me try again.

AFAIK, PKG_OPTIONS is currently used to add/remove features to a
single package. But with the PR, it's used to generate 2 different
packages that can be installed together on a machine ... In that
specific case, how can we know that we need to perform actions
multiple times (for updating by example), one per value.

--
Nicolas Joly

Biological Software and Databanks.
Institut Pasteur, Paris.