Subject: Re: DESTDIR support
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/24/2007 22:52:52
On 3/24/07, Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.maer.sieben@kh-22.de> wrote:
> Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 03:04:49PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > > Developers which want to modify existing packages should also try
> > > USE_DESTDIR=	full
> > > This makes the build completely unprivileged and in turn detects any
> > > attempt to write e.g. to ${LOCALBASE}. This is not supported for actual
> > > installation yet, due to short comings of pkg_create.
> >
> > For the archive, this mostly works now. The biggest problem right now is
> > that when a tarball contains foo/bar and bar is owned by user joe, tar
> > creates foo with owner joe and not with user root. There's no easy way
> > to avoid that though.
>
> Does the last paragraph above still apply? From what I have seen (with
> USE_DESTDIR=full and PKG_DESTDIR_SUPPORT=user-destdir) the files added
> by pkg_add have correct permissions but all directories from those
> packages belong to the local user who built the packages, eg
>
>   drwxr-xr-x   6 pkgsrc  pkgsrc   512 Mar 25 04:04
>     lib/perl5/vendor_perl//5.8.0/CGI/FormBuilder
>   drwxr-xr-x   2 pkgsrc  pkgsrc   512 Mar 25 04:04
>     lib/perl5/vendor_perl//5.8.0/CGI/FormBuilder/Field
>   drwxr-xr-x   2 pkgsrc  pkgsrc   512 Mar 25 04:04
>     lib/perl5/vendor_perl//5.8.0/CGI/FormBuilder/Messages
>   drwxr-xr-x   2 pkgsrc  pkgsrc   512 Mar 25 04:04
>     lib/perl5/vendor_perl//5.8.0/CGI/FormBuilder/Source
>   drwxr-xr-x   2 pkgsrc  pkgsrc   512 Mar 25 04:04
>     lib/perl5/vendor_perl//5.8.0/CGI/FormBuilder/Template
>

> ciao
>      Klaus

I've noticed as of updating pkgsrc today that the shared library
checks are broken when using DESTDIR (at least I think it's related to
that).  I naturally suspect the changes in check/check-shlibs.mk.
lang/lua is one example where this happens; I think GNU readline is
another.

Have you noticed this?

I'm also having a problem in devel/gettext-tools with
${WRKSRC}/autoconf-link-lib/configure if building with GNU iconv. It
seems that it can't resolve a symbol (which exists) in libintl.so (bad
rpath)?  I'm not sure if this is related or not, though.

Please let me know what you think.

Regards,

--Blair
--
Support WFMU-FM: free-form radio for the masses!
<http://www.wfmu.org/>

"The frivolity and boredom which unsettle the established order, the
vague foreboding of something unknown, these are the heralds of
approaching change.  The gradual crumbling that left unaltered the
face of the whole is cut short by a sunburst which, in one flash,
illuminates the features of the new world."  --G.W.F. Hegel,
_Phenomenology of Spirit_ 5:11