Subject: Re: pkgsrc NetBSD 4.0_BETA2/i386 bulk build results 20070316.2125
To: Takahiro Kambe <>
From: Roland Illig <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/21/2007 12:01:29
Takahiro Kambe wrote:
> In message <>
> 	on Tue, 20 Mar 2007 00:25:59 +0100 (CET),
> 	Thomas Klausner <> wrote:
>>>textproc/ruby-eruby        1
>>===> Configuring for ruby18-eruby-1.0.5nb6
>>=> Checking for portability problems in extracted files
>>/usr/pkg/bin/ruby18: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
>>*** Error code 2
> I thanks much to Roland Illig <rillig@> who fixed the problem
> on 17th Mar.

... and who introduced exactly this problem a few days before. :)

The variable CONFIG_SHELL had only been set in
mk/configure/, but it was used in
mk/configure/ That sounded wrong to me, so I changed it. In
addition, the variable CONFIGURE_SCRIPT had misused in some places;
there were definitions like:

     CONFIGURE_SCRIPT=  ksh ./configure

pkglint says about it:

     WARN: Makefile:19: "ruby configure.rb" is not a valid pathname.

 From the name of the variable, it is clear that its value should only
be the name of a script, not a complete shell command. It would have
been called CONFIGURE_SCRIPT_CMD in that case.

If more of these build failures should appear, the proper fix is to set
CONFIG_SHELL to the correct interpreter for the configure script. In
some cases this may be "perl" or ${PYTHONBIN}, "ruby" or "ksh".