Subject: Re: pkg_add master/slave mode
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Marc Espie <espie@nerim.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/19/2007 22:52:24
On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 09:32:12PM +0000, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 05:09:26PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > is or has anyone ever used the master/slave mode of pkg_add? If yes,
> > please tell me what for as I have no real idea whether it is useful
> > functionality or not.

> I don't think it's useful functionality, it's just something we got
> for free when we imported the pkg_install functionality.  I don't
> believe we've ever used it.

As another measure point, this is something I didn't bother keeping
when I rewrote the OpenBSD pkg tools.

And I strongly think you almost never get something `for free', especially
in software.   Unused functionality is WORSE than useless. It's going to
bitrot, for starters, but also, it often gets in the way of bug-fixes,
understanding, and useful refactoring...