Subject: Re: Removing empty PLIST files?
To: None <darcy@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/15/2007 23:25:50
On 15/03/2007, at 20:55, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 19:54:30 +0100
> Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> wrote:
>> We currently have quite a number of PLIST files that only contain
>> the @comment line (mostly for perl packages).  I think we should
>> get rid of them, because they don't provide extra information.
>
> Well, they provide the information that there is no information to
> provide.  Less ambiguous than a file not existing.  Remember, not
> everyone runs CVS on the pkgsrc tree to confirm whether it is missing
> or just not needed.

Maybe we could note the lack of PLIST in the Makefile (e.g.
PLIST_SRC= #empty) and make the install fail if that variable is not
empty and the file does not exist.

I think getting rid of tons of useless files from pkgsrc is a good
idea.  I find myself nowadays managing such large trees on slow
(laptop) disks, and it is *really* painful.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>