Subject: Re: Removing empty PLIST files?
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/15/2007 15:55:26
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 19:54:30 +0100
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> wrote:
> We currently have quite a number of PLIST files that only contain
> the @comment line (mostly for perl packages).  I think we should
> get rid of them, because they don't provide extra information.

Well, they provide the information that there is no information to
provide.  Less ambiguous than a file not existing.  Remember, not
everyone runs CVS on the pkgsrc tree to confirm whether it is missing
or just not needed.

> Deleting the files is not currently sufficient, this needs some
> changes in the infrastructure first, since if no PLIST file is
> found, "make install" hangs and waits for user input. But that's
> probably just a bug in mk/ and could be fixed.
>
> Does anyone see a reason why we should keep the empty PLIST files?

 - Consistiency
 - Path of least resistance

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>