Subject: Re: apr0/apr naming scheme not getting along with pkg_chk (hard problem)
To: Greg Troxel <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/08/2007 11:02:01
On 2/5/07, Greg Troxel <> wrote:
> I have a machine with a number of packages, including:
> apr (0.9)
> subversion-base
> apache2
> pkg_chk reports:
> devel/apr - apr- < apr-

This happens because devel/apr was bumped to 1.2.8, but the old
version moved to apr0.  If you do a "make replace" on apr0 by hand,
this will fix itself (because the new pkgsrc subdir will be recorded
in the rebuild).

> The fix is to delete apr and reinstall apr0, but then this happens
> again.

Doesn't happen if apr0 is rebuilt *from source*.  Using a binpkg just
brings back the old subdir naming in +BUILD_INFO.

>   pkg_chk:
>     pkg_chk should realize somehow that a user running apr-0.9.x which
>     is current with respect to the devel/apr0 package is not really
>     out of date in the usual sense.  Clearly somehow one decided to do
>     this, and branch jumps aren't really something pkg_chk should do
>     for you.

pkg_chk uses the PKGPATH variable in the +BUILD_INFO for the package
to determine the source of the original package build.  Thus it's
physically incapable of knowing that a package moved.

>   pkg_rolling-replace:

With the caveat that "make replace" is not reliable, and even says so
when you use it (which is why it should always be done with manual

This suffers from exactly the same problem as pkg_chk, and there's no
current solution for it.

> 3) The Apache people should have made a way to have apr be able to
>    install multiple versions at the same time.

This is *almost* possible, but no one has stepped up to make it happen.

-- Todd Vierling <> <> <>