Subject: Re: "gnutls" under Darwin (was: CVS commit: pkgsrc/security/gnutls)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/24/2007 13:47:52
On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 01:38:52PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > And I bet he is wrong. My guess is that they have an undefined symbol
> > in their library e.g. function "a" which calls "b" which got removed.
> > ELF linkers don't complain about such problems while linking shared
> > libraries. But the Mac OS X linker does complain.

I stand corrected. It *is* Mac OS X compiler bug.

> A good candidate is (not) inlining esp. in combination with templates.
> And yes, ELF has a lot more magic for that.

It seems to be a common problem which is related to using pure virtual
method in a constructor or destructor, see here:

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/macosx_issues.html

The fix in this case is to inline the copy constructor. I'm currently
testing a patch which do that (only under Mac OS X to avoid breaking
the binary ABI).

	Kind regards