Subject: Language build problems & bootstrap issues
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jon Buller <jon@Bullers.Net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/12/2007 23:17:43
I'm working on updating the lang/sbcl package from the rather ancient
version in pkgsrc right now.  When I first made the package, this
problem came up but was glossed over.  This is no longer possible...

In a nutshell SBCL needs a Common Lisp system to build.  This could be
SBCL itself, or in some circumstances we were able to use CLisp.  When
testing in the last few days, I have had CLisp build things properly
once or twice, but it has also mis-compiled things a couple of times as
well.  The SBCL team told me that CLisp has always been unreliable in
it's ability to complete this task.  Finally, aymeric@ has recently done
some work to get SBCL ported to netbsd/ppc, and that will just make the
problem worse, as CLisp is not available on those platforms. (I believe
SBCL was used on a NetBSD/i386 machine to cross-compile to the PowerPC,
but ask aymeric if you want the full and correct story.)

Any recommendations on how to handle this in the Makefile?  How about on
the bulk build machines?  The situation seems similar to gcc*-ada, but
I'm not sure exactly how close.  Or how to get a bulk build machine to
build a package with a build dependency of itself. (Or even how to
specify something like that.)

Jon