Subject: unportable code in check/check-subr.awk
To: None <>
From: Klaus Heinz <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/30/2006 22:16:59

in devel/gettext-tools the check for portable shell syntax encounters a
problem on IRIX 6.

The function from mk/check/check-subr.awk

  function cs_warning_msg(msg) {
        printf("WARNING: [%s] %s\n", cs_progname, msg) > "/dev/stderr";
produces messages like this:

  Cannot open /dev/stderr: Permission denied
  Input record number 55
  Source line number 47

due to the permissions
  -rw-r--r--    1 root     sys           46 Dec 18 04:16 /dev/stderr

And as I look at this file, I notice that it is not a character device
file and that /dev/stdin and /dev/stdout are missing on IRIX. Obviously
the file was created by user 'root' (added to Bcc:) during some package

It looks like the check for portability needs to be more... what can I
say :-).. more portable.