Subject: Re: gnupg2 build failure on netbsd-3
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/11/2006 08:00:19
--=-=-=

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 12:04:53PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> It may also be that gnupg2 doesn't really need the version it claims,
>> but that's a separate issue.
>
> No, it isn't. The *API* of gettext never changed. Some tools got new
> options and a few advanced features -- but that's no reason to require
> an update of gettext. In that regard gnupg2 is simply broken. I haven't
> had time to look at it though.

Sure it's separate.

One issue is whether gnupg2 really needs 0.14.1 of the GNU gettext
package (because of a runtime behavior change, or because it uses some
of  the new tool options/features at build time).

The other issue is that expressing that one needs 0.14.1 in the
Makefile should cause devel/gettext-lib/buildlink3.mk to pull that in,
or there should be some way to tell USE_TOOLS that one needs a newer
version.   I'm a bit perplexed as to USE_TOOLS vs. the bl3; it seems
USE_TOOLS is for build time and bl3 for linking.   It seems to be
asking for trouble to use newer tools and an older library, though.

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--