Subject: Re: gnupg2 build failure on netbsd-3
To: None <john@johnrshannon.com>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/09/2006 12:04:53
--=-=-=

  [ previous private correspendence omitted, but the essence was:

  security/gnupg2 was updated to specify

    BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS.gettext+=3D               gettext-lib>=3D0.14.1
  ]

security/gnupg2 still won't build on up-to-date netbsd-3.  I think the
problem is that devel/gettext-lib/builtin.mk has a binary check for
builtin gettext being "good enough" if it supplies ngettext.  gnupg2
checks for >=3D 0.14.1 by running gettext --version, and fails because
netbsd-3 provides 0.10.35.

I installed devel/gettext, and then built gnupg2.  It built, but it's
linked against libintl from /usr/lib, and no dependency on gettext was
recorded.  This makes sense - it didn't get bl3'd, but just used
/usr/pkg/bin/gettext to get by the test in autogen.sh.

I think the gettext builtin.mk needs to be updated to infer a version
number for base system gettext, and then check if it's high enough
compared to the API requirement.

It may also be that gnupg2 doesn't really need the version it claims,
but that's a separate issue.

=2D-=20
    Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>

--=-=-=