Subject: Re: DESTDIR support
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/20/2006 19:15:12
On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 05:40:23PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> I still haven't found time to play with this, but can you tell to what
> extent it works - do pkgs have to be prepared specially for this (if so,
> how?), or will it work for every package?

The packages have to be prepared for this. For most automake users, all
that needs to be done is set PKG_DESTDIR_SUPPORT and avoid using
$PREFIX} in pre-install/post-install without prefix it with DESTDIR.
Special care needs to be take when packages install files with
non-default owner/group and/or setuid/setgid. They should use
SPECIAL_PERMS in that case. This is a good idea anyway :-)

I'll go through the Perl, Python, KDE and Gnome stuff through, as most
of it should support it without changes beside the above.
"CHECK_WRKREF=work tools" should be used as well, I have to look through
the existing packages, some of them might still have some leaked path
names. We might want to make that the default for _USE_DESTDIR != no.

Joerg