Subject: Re: buildlink ignoring my share libraries!
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Gert Doering <gert@greenie.muc.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/14/2006 13:28:15
In muc.lists.netbsd.tech.pkg Martin Husemann wrote:

>I have reproducable cases of pkgs where the ./buildlink/lib symlinks are not
>set up for the lib*so.* files, but only for the static lib*.a variants.
>I get this effect with multiple pkgs, one example is devel/pango.
>This leads to stupid build errors, because most pkgs do not pass all the
>library dependencies, but rely on NEEDED entries in the so's. In the pango
>case it is just a simple, all telling "Fatal error." message.

I'm very glad that you ran into this as well - because I spent about a day
banging my head to the wall trying to build firefox on sparc64-current,
which failed exactly inside pango, with the same symptoms.

The effect is really really weird.

If you build pango normally, it fails ("Fatal error").  If you go to
the work/pango*/ directory, run "make clean ; make", it will properly
build pango, and the resulting binaries will work if installed manually
(LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib is needed to pick up libX11.so.6).

If going back to the pkgsrc pango directory, and running "make install",
it will re-link the binaries, and all are broken again ("Fatal error.").

>This started when I upgraded userland and all X related pkgs ~two weeks
>ago, but I did change too much at the same time to be sure what exactly
>triggered it.

Same here, I removed all packages, rebuild NetBSD -current, and started
reinstalling all packages.

When I try building pango (1.14.7) on an i386 2.0.3_STABLE box, these
errors do not (!) happen - it will just build and test fine...

----------- snip ------------
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/home/obj/pkg/devel/pango/work/pango-1.14.7/tests'
Logging to runtests.log
Running test program "testboundaries", please wait: passed
Running test program "testcolor", please wait: passed

All tests passed.
PASS: runtests.sh
==================
All 1 tests passed
==================

- so it's not a generic problem of "pango" but more "sparc64 and/or
netbsd-current"...

I don't have a suitable machine with i386-current or sparc64-2.0.3
around to do cross-testing, though.

gert
--
gert@greenie.muc.de   fax: +49-89-35655025   http://alpha.greenie.net/mgetty/

If one tells the truth, one is sure sooner or later to be found out.
               --O. Wilde