Subject: GnuPG release: Version 2.0.0 and security/gnupg-devel
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: John R. Shannon <john@johnrshannon.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/13/2006 06:18:13
GnuPG 2.0.0 was just released. This is the package the I've been tracking with
security/gnupg-devel for several years. The question is, "What should the
package be named now that its been released?"

It seems that this should not replace security/gnupg. GnuPG-2 has a different
architecture than GnuPG-1 (e.g. 1.4.5) in that
it splits up functionality into several modules.  However, both
versions may be installed alongside without any conflict.  In fact,
the gpg version from GnuPG-1 is able to make use of the gpg-agent as
included in GnuPG-2 and allows for seamless passphrase caching.  The
advantage of GnuPG-1 is its smaller size and the lack of dependency on
other modules at run and build time.

Should I replace security/gnupg-devel with security/gnupg2?

--
John R. Shannon, CISSP
Chief Scientist