Subject: Re: package categories
To: Peter Schuller <>
From: Greg Troxel <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/07/2006 13:47:04

Peter Schuller <> writes:

>> Definitely easier than "impossible" -- I only used that word with
>> hope someone would take it as a challenge. Bug-free "tool suppport
>> for renamed packgaes" would be tough, and probably not worth the
>> effort. So, I agree, given dependency issues, probably best to
>> keep packages, which have dependencies, where they are.
> I should mention btw that renamed packages are handled without
> difficulty by pkgmanager; not by explicitly supporting renames but by
> the fundamental way in which updates are performed (based on a list of
> packages wanted by the user, and the dependency chains is traversed
> from there).

But does it handle the case where there are a bunch of packages
installed, and foo changes from math/foo to science/foo, and the user
doesn't notice, and issues the 'update everything' command?

I don't see how it could possibly do this without parsing the renamed
lines in CHANGES (which I suppose are there, so this is a mere matter
of programming).

Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (NetBSD)