Subject: Re: package categories
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/06/2006 22:16:56
On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 07:48:08PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>Adding tool suppport for renamed packgaes isn't impossible, just
>work.  But until it's done, I think we should rename packages only
>when their current names are downright broken.

Definitely easier than "impossible" -- I only used that word with
hope someone would take it as a challenge. Bug-free "tool suppport
for renamed packgaes" would be tough, and probably not worth the
effort. So, I agree, given dependency issues, probably best to
keep packages, which have dependencies, where they are.

That said, a category called science seems appropriate, even if
math and biology remain as more specific sciences. Other than
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/current/pkgsrc/README.html
is there any doc or definition on what the categories mean?

// George