Subject: Re: Which one is preferred: ${TEST} or [ ... ]
To: Roland Illig <rillig@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/06/2006 11:11:52
On 11/5/06, Roland Illig <rillig@netbsd.org> wrote:
> in the pkgsrc code, there are many places where ${TEST} is used, as well
> as [ ... ], which is usually a shell builtin. Since ${TEST} is defined
> to a simple "test", which is usually also a shell builtin, there is no
> difference at all. Except ...
>
> mk/tools/tools.{DragonFly,Interix}.mk define TEST to something different
> from the shell builtin. Why?

Interix /bin/sh is an old version of pdksh, but its test/[ should be
adequate for most uses.  I'll change it and try it out.  (It's been a
while since I had a working Interix environment, for a variety of
reasons; however, I'm bootstrapping a new one as I type this.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>