Subject: Re: per package CONFIGURE_ARGS in mk.conf
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: None <diro@nixsys.bz>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/04/2006 19:20:17
Julio M. Merino Vidal writes:

>> in
>>
>> > You shouldn't do that, but it can be done by using ${.CURDIR}.
>>
>> > Joerg
>>
>> There are options i need to feed the mail/sqwebmail build, which aren't
>> covered in its PKG_OPTIONS. Rather then edit the Makefile, update via CVS
>> every quarter and deal with the mangled Makefile, i've found it easier to
>> just remove the whole tree and replace it anew each quarter. Instead of
>> re-editing the Makefile for certain packages, i was hoping there's an
>> easier
>> way to feed it specific options.
>>
>> What would be so horrible about having something like
>> CONFIGURE_ARGS.package_name? This would save having a lot of PKG_OPTIONS
>> settings for the many configure args that can be used to tweak specific
>> packages.
>
> That many configure options have lots of side effects with respect to
> installed files, available features, program behavior, etc.
> Supporting such a setup would result in lots of random problems and
> broken packages all around.

Indeed. :-\ However, there are some things which are rather simple settings
in the package.

> On the other hand, the existing PKG_OPTIONS have (supposedly) been
> tested and the package is properly made to honor them (registering the
> correct files, keeping track of dependencies appropriately, etc.).
>
> --
> Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
> The Julipedia - http://julipedia.blogspot.com/

Even with PKG_OPTIONS, though, take sqwebmail again as an example. Things
like:

 --with-maxargsize =n
 --with-maxformargsize=n

Which aren't crazy dependencies or correct files, just something that limits
attachment sizes, how would that be easily specified with PKG_OPTIONS? I
believe the point of PKG_OPTIONS was to get away from having a lot of
variables specific to a certain package set in the environment or mk.conf,
however, what is the ease of this structure now or rather the preferred
method of doing so?

!tr